Car Rental Luton
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Offers
Why rent a car in Luton?
Luton is a great place for renting a car. An underrated tourism destination, it is home to interesting history and many cultures. Its close proximity not only to London, but also to Birmingham, the British Coast, and a number of nature areas, makes it a great base for exploring the rest of Britain with a rental car.
Top ways to enter Luton
- Luton Airport. Popular with a number of low-cost airlines, Luton Airport serves more than 16 million passengers annually. The airport is located about 45 km (28 mi) from downtown London, but just 2.4 km (1.5 mi) from Luton.
- London Heathrow Airport. The busiest airport not only in London, but also the United Kingdom and Europe, London-Heathrow is about 50 minute ride from Luton.
- London Gatwick Airport. Another large international airport serving London, Gatwick provides connections to and from most of Europe, as well as destinations on other continents. The airport is about 83 km (56 mi) from Luton.
- Birmingham Airport. A base for five different airlines, Birmingham Airport serves the United Kingdom’s second largest city and the wider West Midlands region. The airport is about a 90 minute drive north of Luton.
- By rail. If you’re arriving in Luton by train, you can conveniently pick up your rental car at Luton Railway Station.
Useful city facts
- Luton has a temperate maritime climate with relatively small temperature changes between different seasons. The average temperature is 17 °C (62.5 °F) in July and 4 °C (39 °F) in January and February. The rainiest months are October and November.
- Luton is one of the most multicultural cities of Britain. It has large Indian, Pakistani, Irish, Caribbean, and African communities. These different influences can be observed in the city’s varied neighborhoods, cuisine, and places of worship.
Top destinations and activities
- Wardown Park. Luton is famous for its many parks, but Wardown arguably takes the first prize. It attracts visitors with its fountain and boating lake, as well as important places that are located inside it like the Luton Museum and Art Gallery, housed in a beautiful Victorian mansion. Some other green areas of Luton include Brantwood Park, Stockwood Park, and Kidney Wood.
- Guru Nanak Gurdwara. One of the most famous Sikh temples outside India, Guru Nanak Gurdwara is both a place of worship and a significant cultural center. Inside the temple and in the around it you can enjoy some of the famous Sikh hospitality and equally well-known Sikh cuisine.
- St. Mary’s Church. More than 850 years old, this Anglican church is one of the most important architectural and cultural monuments of Luton. Rebuilt a number of times, it is best known for the beautiful stained glass image of Sir John Wenlock, a medieval English diplomat and soldier.
Traffic and parking tips
- The United Kingdom drives on the left-hand side of the road.
- On-street parking is usually heavily restricted. Never park on a white, double yellow or double red line (stopping on motorways and next to red lines is illegal).
- You are not allowed to use your mobile phone while driving unless you use a hands-free system.
- Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limits are 112 km/h (70 mph) on motorways, 112 km/h (70 mph) on dual carriageways, 96 km/h (60 mph) on single carriageways and 48km/h (30 mph) in residential areas and areas with street lightning.
- In England and Wales, the legal alcohol limit is 0.08% for both experienced and novice drivers. Do keep in mind, however, that in Scotland the legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for both experienced and novice drivers. Exceeding the limit can lead to large fines, a suspended license, or even imprisonment.
- The insurance and documentation of the car needs to be in it whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The emergency numbers are 999 and 112.
Currently there is only a single toll road in the United Kingdom, the M6 toll. You also have to pay a toll for using a number of bridges and tunnels, as well as for entering the central areas of London and Durham (a city in North East England).
As an alternative to the M6 around Birmingham, the M6toll is a 43 km (27 mi) long portion of the road, also known as the Birmingham North Relief Road (BNRR), that relieves congestion on the M6 itself. There are toll gates where you can pay by either cash or credit card. As of March 2019, the price is £6.40 for using the toll road from Monday to Friday (from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.), £5.30 for using the toll road on Saturday or Sunday (from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.), and £4.10 for using the toll road at night time on any day (from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m.). Find out more on the M6 Toll official website.
Find out more about toll roads in the United Kingdom on the European toll road website.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Whipsnade Zoo. Both a zoo and a safari park, ZSL Whipsnade is the largest conversation area in Britain. It is home to a great number of animal species that include African hunting dogs, African lions, cheetahs, and even white rhinos. Whipsnade Zoo is just outside Luton and can be reached by car in about 20 minutes.
- Standalone Farm. Just an hour’s drive north of London is perhaps not where you’d expect to find the most idyllic of British farms, but Standalone is just that place. Park at the entrance and go on a long walk to observe pigs, chickens, horses, goats, and even alpacas. Despite its name, the farm is just 13 km (20 mi) north of Luton.
- Hatfield House. A childhood home of Queen Elizabeth I, Hatfield is a country house surrounded by beautiful parks and gardens. Come here to marvel at the unique Jacobean architecture that’s more than 400 years old or simply to spend a fun day outdoors. Hatfield House is about half an hour’s drive southeast of Luton.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car type in Luton is an economy, closely followed by compact and intermediate. The most popular rental cars in the city are the Ford Fiesta, the Kia Stonic, and the Volvo V40.
- London. The largest metropolis in Europe and, according to some estimates, the most visited city in the world, London is a truly fascinating place to visit. It has something for everyone and more diversity than most countries, yet manages to retain its unique character and flavour. London is just one hour’s drive south of Luton.
- Birmingham. Britain’s second city might not get as much attention as some of its counterparts of the same size, but hopefully that’s about to change. As industrial and busy as always, the “City of a Thousand Trades” has recently also developed a great cultural vibe. Birmingham is about 140 mi (85 km) north of Luton.
- Bristol. A maritime metropolis and more recently a hub of electronic music and visual arts, Bristol is one of the most unique and interesting English cities. There are a number of landmarks in this city, but its number one attraction is its character. Bristol is about two-and-a-half hour’s drive southwest of Luton.
How can I save money on my rental car?
These are some of the things you can do to get a great car rental deal in Luton:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Luton is the cheapest in February when renting a car is about 50% cheaper than the yearly average and a whole 65% cheaper than renting a car in July.
Top 20 Cities near Luton
London Car Rentals from $33.42 per day50.4 km / 31.3 miles away
Edinburgh Car Rentals from $14.57 per day493.9 km / 306.9 miles away
Birmingham Car Rentals from $28.48 per day114.0 km / 70.9 miles away
Glasgow Car Rentals from $12.04 per day518.0 km / 321.9 miles away
Belfast Car Rentals from $23.94 per day476.4 km / 296.0 miles away
Manchester Car Rentals from $16.85 per day208.8 km / 129.8 miles away
Leeds Car Rentals from $27.63 per day237.8 km / 147.8 miles away
Inverness Car Rentals from $49.86 per day672.8 km / 418.1 miles away
Bristol Car Rentals from $15.61 per day170.8 km / 106.2 miles away
Liverpool Car Rentals from $14.54 per day233.2 km / 144.9 miles away
East Midlands Car Rentals from $11.92 per day124.7 km / 77.5 miles away
Newcastle Car Rentals from $15.94 per day362.4 km / 225.2 miles away
Southampton Car Rentals from $26.00 per day123.6 km / 76.8 miles away
Cardiff Car Rentals from $28.37 per day212.1 km / 131.8 miles away
Aberdeen Car Rentals from $22.46 per day604.1 km / 375.4 miles away
Exeter Car Rentals from $23.94 per day246.8 km / 153.3 miles away
Jersey Car Rentals from $36.25 per day323.4 km / 201.0 miles away
Bournemouth Car Rentals from $30.22 per day159.1 km / 98.8 miles away
183.0 km / 113.7 miles away
Newquay Car Rentals from $37.85 per day359.8 km / 223.6 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Luton
Luton, Downtown Car Rentals from $53.47 per day
Luton Airport Car Rentals from $19.72 per day3.2 km / 2.0 miles away
London Marylebone Railway Station Car Rentals from $33.42 per day43.6 km / 27.1 miles away
London St Pancras Railway Station Car Rentals from $40.76 per day43.8 km / 27.2 miles away
London Paddington Railway Station Car Rentals from $33.42 per day43.8 km / 27.2 miles away
London Stansted Airport Car Rentals from $8.62 per day44.5 km / 27.7 miles away
London Heathrow Airport Car Rentals from $12.10 per day45.1 km / 28.0 miles away
London Victoria Railway Station Car Rentals from $53.89 per day46.9 km / 29.1 miles away
London Stratford Railway Station Car Rentals from $55.73 per day47.3 km / 29.4 miles away
London City Airport Car Rentals from $33.42 per day52.9 km / 32.9 miles away
London Gatwick Airport Car Rentals from $16.41 per day83.1 km / 51.6 miles away
London Southend Airport Car Rentals from $37.85 per day83.9 km / 52.1 miles away
Birmingham Airport Car Rentals from $28.48 per day111.0 km / 69.0 miles away
Birmingham New Street Railway Station Car Rentals from $28.29 per day121.0 km / 75.2 miles away
East Midlands Airport Car Rentals from $11.92 per day122.4 km / 76.1 miles away
Southampton Airport Car Rentals from $26.00 per day122.5 km / 76.1 miles away
Norwich Airport Car Rentals from $28.37 per day145.3 km / 90.3 miles away
Bournemouth Airport Car Rentals from $30.22 per day157.7 km / 98.0 miles away
Bristol Airport Car Rentals from $15.61 per day168.1 km / 104.5 miles away
Humberside Airport Car Rentals from $28.37 per day188.2 km / 116.9 miles away
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Luton?
What’s the usual rental length in Luton?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Luton?
Our Customers Reviews
Top 12 Suppliers for Luton in 2019
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 9 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email