Car Rental Romania
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Offers
Why rent a car in Romania?
Romania is a great destination to travel around by car. Both its nature and its regional cultures are incredibly diverse for the country’s size. Romania is easily accessible and constantly developing, but still retains an historical and untamed feeling that you won’t find in many other places in Europe.
Top ways to enter Romania
- Bucharest Otopeni Airport: Romania’s largest international airport serves flights to and from most countries in Europe, as well as many destinations outside Europe.
- Cluj-Napoca Airport: Cluj-Napoca, the Romania’s second city, is a great entry point for the region of Transylvania.
- Timisoara Airport: This international airport serves the western Romania and is near the borders with Serbia and Hungary.
- By land: It’s possible to rent a car in a neighboring country and then drive to Romania. Depending on your citizenship, you may or may not need a visa to enter Romania or any of its neighboring countries. Some large international airports near Romania are Sofia Airport in Bulgaria, Belgrade Airport in Serbia, and Budapest Airport in Hungary.
Top cities and places to visit
- Transylvania: Transylvania is home of to rich history, pretty cities like Sibiu and Brasov, and, of course, Dracula. Yet it is the region’s nature - forests, mountains, and wildlife - that is its most stunning attraction.
- Black Sea Coast: From mouth of Danube to beaches of Constanța and Vama Veche, Southeast Romania is a fun place to visit. The larger region of Dobrogea is interesting to get to know as well.
- Bucharest: Romania’s eclectic capital city has plenty to offer, and the more you explore it, the more exciting it becomes.
- Moldavia: A place of stunning fortresses and delicious wine, this part of Romania is a place of distinct culture and lifestyle.
- Oltenia: Traditional, rural, and hot-blooded, Southwest Romania is the most hospitable part of the country.
Most popular rental car
The most popular rental car in Romania is the Dacia Logan, but the Skodia Fabia and the Opel Astra are also in high demand among travelers.
Romania shares a border with Hungary, Ukraine, Moldova, Bulgaria, and Serbia. While a member of European Union (EU), Romania is not a Schengen Area member state. Of Romania’s neighbors, only Hungary is a Schengen Area member.
Bulgaria, Serbia, Moldova, and Ukraine each have their own visa policy and you may or may not need a visa to visit them, depending on your citizenship. If you plan to enter one of these countries from Romania during your rental period, we strongly advise you to get in touch with your Ministry of Foreign Affairs in advance to find out about any potential visa requirements.
Some car rental providers allow you to cross national borders and even drop off your car in a different country, while others don’t. If you’d like to cross a national border during your rental period, make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking a car. Learn more about cross-border rentals in our FAQ section.
Most popular types of rental car
The most popular rental car in Romania is an economy, but compact and fullsize are also often picked.
Top driving routes
- Bucharest - Brasov (185 km / 115 mi) Start in the plains where Romania’s first city is located, and in just a couple of hours you’ll be in the heartland of Carpathians. The scenery will be stunning, but remember that it is always at least a couple of degrees colder in the mountains. The religious center of Sinaia and winter resort town Predeal make for great stops on the way.
- Cluj-Napoca - Sibiu (273 km / 169 mi) The route between the beautiful Transylvanian cities can be done in less than five hours, but Târgu Mureș and Sighișoara that will be on the way are, while smaller, just as interesting and historic.
- Constanta - Varna (155 km / 96 mi) The distance between the two beach cities can be done in less than three hours. Traveling along the coast for the whole route will take a bit more time, but will be a lot more picturesque. Note that Varna is in Bulgaria and you’ll have to cross a national border, so first check with your rental car provider to find out if they allow it.
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in Romania:
- Compare rates
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Romania is the cheapest in March - prices start from € 21.80 for an economy vehicle per day which is 39% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 9 Most Popular Cities in Romania
Car Rental in Bucharest from $9.50 per day
Car Rental in Cluj-Napoca from $7.41 per day
Car Rental in Timisoara from $18.52 per day
Car Rental in Sibiu from $15.44 per day
Car Rental in Iasi from $20.19 per day
Car Rental in Bacau from $38.24 per day
Car Rental in Craiova from $21.28 per day
Car Rental in Constanta from $20.19 per day
Car Rental in Brasov from $32.75 per day
Top 12 Most Popular Locations in Romania
Car Rental at Bucharest Airport from $6.88 per day
Car Rental at Bucharest Baneasa Airport from $9.50 per day
Car Rental at Cluj-Napoca Airport from $7.41 per day
Car Rental at Timisoara Airport from $18.52 per day
Car Rental at Sibiu Airport from $15.44 per day
Car Rental at Iasi Airport from $20.19 per day
Car Rental at Bacau Airport from $38.24 per day
Car Rental at Craiova Airport from $21.28 per day
Car Rental at Constanta Airport from $20.19 per day
Car Rental at Bucharest, Downtown from $6.88 per day
Car Rental at Brasov, Downtown from $32.75 per day
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Romania?
What’s the average rental length in Romania?
What’s the most popular time for renting a car in Romania?
Top 9 Suppliers for Romania in 2019
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 9 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email