Car rental Faro
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Offers
Why rent a car in Faro?
Faro is a great place to visit. Busy but friendly, it offers great restaurants, varied accommodation opportunities, and long sea coast. It is a great base for exploring the rest of Algarve.
Top ways to enter Faro
- Faro Airport: Also known as Algarve Airport, it is especially active during summers when many low-cost carriers connect it with destinations all across Europe.
- Lisbon Airport: About 275 km (170 mi) north, Portugal’s largest airport is among the 20 busiest airports in Europe and hosts flights to and from all continents of the world.
- Seville Airport: Located in neighboring Spain about 200 km (125 mi) east of Faro, Seville Airport is another great way to reach Faro if your rental car provider permits crossing the border in the rental car.
Useful city facts
- Summers are warm to hot and sunny with average daytime temperatures of 27–35 °C (81–95 °F). The weather in the autumn and winter is generally mild with temperatures around 8–17 °C (46–63 °F). Winters are much more humid than summers.
- Faro is the southernmost city of Portugal and the capital of the Algarve region, with the population of about 65,000 people.
Top destinations and activities
- Old town (Centro Historico). Better preserved than many other old towns of Portugal, the historic center is a place where you walk the maze of narrow streets, observe varied architecture, and see what living in Faro was like more than 200 years ago.
- Bone Chapel. Chilling to some and fascinating for others, Capela dos Ossos is made out of bones taken from a nearby monk graveyard. The chapel is inside the beautiful Carmo church.
- Praia do Faro. Although not as famous as some of the other beaches of Algarve, Faro’s main beach is a great place to enjoy the sun and the sea. There are many other, more secluded beaches near the city that you can reach in your rental car.
Traffic and parking tips
- You can only enter the roundabout after giving way to cars already on it.
- The car documentation and insurance always has to be inside a vehicle.
- Drivers can only use a mobile phone if it is a hands free or an earpiece.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers.
- Safety cameras are in use.
- When parking in a street, your car must be parked facing the direction of travel
A lot of motorways in Portugal are subject to toll fees. See Portugal's official toll road website site for maps and fees.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Ria Formosa Natural Park. Less than a 30 minute ride from Faro, Ria Formosa is a system of barrier islands in a lagoon next to the Atlantic Coast. Green and calm, it is home to countless bird species, as well as a few cozy little villages that are fun to visit.
- Albufeira, Lagos, and Sagres. Perhaps even more famous than Faro, this small beach towns each have their unique atmosphere and characteristics. Albufeira and Lagos can be reached in about an hour, and Sagres is just a bit further along the coast. Visit all three of them and pick your favorite!
- Southwest Alentejo and Vicentine Coast Natural Park. A long and green stretch along Portugal’s southwest coast, this nature park spans two regions of Portugal. Most of its territory is not accessible by car, but you can conveniently park at one of the entry points and go on a long hike.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental cars in Madeira are the VW Polo, the Ford Fiesta, and the Fiat 500. The most popular rental car types are economy, mini, and compact.
- Alentejo. Algarve’s less glamorous neighbor is a fun place to visit not only for its great winemaking traditions, but also for historic towns, beautiful countryside, and leisurely pace of life.
- Lisbon. Portugal’s busy yet hospitable capital is considered one of the most interesting cities in Europe for a reason. Go there for history, architecture, music, and people.
- Andalusia. Spain’s southernmost region is a great place to visit, both because of its close proximity to Portugal and because of its fascinating Moorish buildings, strong regional character, and great food. Note that you’ll have to cross a national border, so check with your car rental provider first to make sure they allow it.
How can I save money on my rental car?
There are things you can do to get a good rental car deal in Faro:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Faro is the cheapest in January when renting a car is about 50% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 5 Cities near Faro
Top 6 Locations near Faro
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Faro?
What’s the usual rental length in Faro?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Faro?
Our Customers Reviews
Top 17 Suppliers for Faro in 2019
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 8.9 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email