Car rental Netherlands
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Offers
Why rent a car in Netherlands?
Netherlands is a great country to visit by car. Its unique and modern cities are something to experience, and so is the North Sea Coast, especially during the summer months. The roads are in great shape and the distances are smalling, meaning you can even set aside the time to visit some of their neighbors.
Top ways to enter Netherlands
- Amsterdam Airport: The largest international airport in the Netherlands, it serves flights to and from countless destinations in all parts of the world.
- Eindhoven Airport: Located in the southern part on the country, Eindhoven Airport is popular with low-cost air carriers like Ryanair and Wizz Air.
- Rotterdam Airport: This international airport serves not only Rotterdam, the Netherlands’ second city, but also the nearby Hague.
- By land: It’s possible to rent a car in a neighboring country and then drive to the Netherlands. Some large international airports near the Netherlands include Brussels Airport in Belgium, as well as Frankfurt Airport and Hamburg Airport in Germany.
Top cities and places to visit
Amsterdam: Its beautiful architecture, rich culture, and canals are just some of the things that make Amsterdam one of the most popular travel destinations in Europe.
The Hague: Better known as the seat of the International Court of Justice, The Hague is also has interesting museums, great restaurants, and very high living standards.
Maastricht: A medieval city in the very southeast corner of the country, Maastricht is claimed by the Dutch to be similar to Burgundy in atmosphere and lifestyle.
Hoge Veluwe National Park: Located in the Gelderland province and easily accessed from all the large cities, this diverse place has everything from forested areas to sandy desert-like patches and an abundance of flora and fauna.
Kinderdijk: If you’ve come to the Netherlands to see the typical Dutch windmills, the traditional village of Kinderdijk is where your wish will come true.
Most popular rental car
The most popular rental car in the Netherlands is the Peugeot 108, but the Peugeot 208 and the Toyota Yaris are also popular.
Driver licence requirements
- The Netherlands accept all driver licenses issued in the European Union (EU).
- If your driver license is issued by a non-EU country, for it to be considered valid you’ll need a Netherlands visa. Another requirement is to have been in the EU for no more than six months at the time of the rental. If you’ve been in the EU longer, you’ll need a driver license issued by an EU country.
- If your driver license is printed in a non-Latin alphabet (Cyrillic, Arabic, etc.), you’ll need an International Driving Permit (IDP) or an official translation of your license into English or Dutch.
- You must carry your driver license, not its copy, with you at all times.
- You need to have had your driver license for at least one or two years, depending on the car provider’s requirements.
- There may be additional requirements depending on the car provider and car category, so make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking.
Crossing the border
Netherlands is a member of the European Union (EU) and the Schengen Area. If you’re not a citizen of a Schengen Area member state, you might or might not need a visa to visit the Schengen Area. It is best to consult the information provided by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of your country to find out if you need a visa to visit the Schengen Area.
Netherlands is bordered by two countries, Belgium and Germany. Both these countries are also members of the Schengen Area. The same requirements that will apply to visiting the Netherlands will also apply to visiting either one of them, e.g., if you need a Schengen Visa to visit the Netherlands, you’ll be able to cross the border to each of the Netherlands’ neighbors with it.
Some car rental providers allow you to cross national borders and even drop off your car in a different country, while others don’t. If you’d like to cross a national border during your rental period, make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking a car. Learn more about cross-border rentals in our FAQ section.
Most popular types of rental car
The most popular rental vehicle type in the Netherlands is Mini, but Economy and Compact are also popular.
Top driving routes
- Amsterdam–Frankfurt (439 km / 273 mi) The Europe’s financial capital in Germany might feel like a long way away from the Netherlands, but can be easily reached in under five hours.
- Eindhoven–Brussels (129 km / 80 mi) Brussels is right next door to Eindhoven and can be reached in 90 minutes, but make sure to stop at Antwerp, another beautiful Belgian city that will be on the way.
- Groningen–Hamburg (297 km / 184 mi) If you’re in northern Netherlands, it’s a great idea to drive in to Germany and visit nearby Hamburg, one of Europe’s unique and free-spirited cities.
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in the Netherlands:
- Compare rates
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Netherlands?
What’s the average rental length in Netherlands?
What’s the most popular time for renting a car in Netherlands?
Top 6 Most Popular Cities in Netherlands
Top 8 Most Popular Locations in Netherlands
Top 6 Best Netherlands Suppliers in 2019
The benefits of signing up
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding car rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 8.9 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email — in 12 languages