Car rental Florence
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Offers
Why rent a car in Florence?
Florence is a great destination to visit by car. Not only one of the most beautiful cities in Italy (and indeed, Europe), it also serves as a great base for exploring the surrounding Tuscany region of which it is a capital.
Top ways to enter Florence
- Florence Airport: Located near city center, Florence Airport serves such varied European destinations as Spain, the United Kingdom, Albania, Moldova, and many others.
- Pisa Airport: Just a bit more than an hour’s drive from Florence and popular with low-cost carriers, flying to nearby Pisa Airport is another great way to reach Florence.
- Bologna Airport: An hour and a half’s drive north of Florence, Bologna Airport is one of the largest and busiest in Italy.
- Livorno Port: Around an hour and a half's drive west of Florence, Livorno Port also has car rental facilities. Ferries from Corsica, Sardinia, Sicily, and Barcelona arrive at the port.
Useful city facts
- The capital of Tuscany province, Florence has more than 1,500,000 inhabitants living in its metropolitan area.
- The hottest months in Florence are July and August when the average temperature reaches around 25 °C (77 °F), although it can get much warmer during the day. The coldest months are December and January when the average temperature is about 6.5 °C (44 °F).
Top destinations and activities
- Uffizi Gallery. First established in the 16th Century, the Uffizi Gallery is perhaps the most important renaissance art museum in the world. The nearby Bargello Museum with its sculptures by Michelangelo, Donatello, and others is also very much worth a visit.
- Palazzo Vecchio. Once a city hall, this impressive palace is an architectural monument and a home of art exhibitions. It is also famous for the replica of Michelangelo's "David" that’s placed right outside it, in the original location of the statue.
- Boboli Gardens. The visitors to this green area that’s next to Pitti Palace can observe both interesting sculptures and great views of the rest of Florence.
Traffic and parking tips
- The speed limit in cities is 50 km/h, although in certain areas the speed limit may be reduced to 30 km/h.
- Main highways are limited to 130 km/h, non-major highways to 110 km/h, and local roads to 90 km/h. During the rain the limits are respectively lowered to 110 km/h, 100 km/h, and 80 km/h. The general speed limit is lowered to 50 km/h during heavy fog or other cases of bad visibility.
- The insurance and car documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.00% for novice drivers. Being over the allowed limit can result in hefty fines and even imprisonment.
- The emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112.
There are numerous toll roads in Italy. The exact fee depends on the route of your choice and the type of a vehicle. See the official Italian toll road website for more information. Use the website’s toll road calculator to find out exactly how much you’ll have to pay for using the toll roads on your planned route.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Pisa. The main attraction of this nearby Tuscan city is, of course, its leaning tower, but it offers so much more in architecture, arts, and cuisine.
- Tuscany countryside. For many visitors, a trip to Chianti wineries is a highlight of their Italian travels. The surrounding farmers villages are just idyllic.
- Perugia. About 2 hours drive south of Florence and the capital of the Umbria Region, this medieval city often gets overlooked because of its more fabled neighbors, but is a great place to visit because of its underground labyrinths, historic landmarks, and youthful atmosphere.
- La Spezia. Just a two hour drive from Florence, La Spezia is beuatiful city on the coast. The Cinque Terre National Park is also nearby.
- Arezzo. Just over an hours drive south of Florence lies Arezzo, a former Etruscan town. it is home to a lovely old town dereft of crowds. It also hosts an interesting antique market in the main square once a month.
- Viareggio. About an hour drive west of Florence on the coast is Viareggio. This small town is home to one of the most famous Carnival celebrartions in Europe. It also hosts beach resorts and old walls which have a bike trail on top of them.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in Italy is the Fiat Panda, followed by the Ford Fiesta and the Fiat 500. The most popular rental car types are economy, mini, and compact.
- Northern Italy. Cities like Milan, Ravenna, Venice and others each warrant a travel to Italy in their own right, but if you’re already in Florence, all of them are just a couple of hours drive north.
- Rome. Italy’s timeless capital can be explored for weeks, and its contemporary arts scene and amazing cuisine can very nearly rival its countless historic landmark.
- Southern Italy. Different in atmosphere, Southern Italy’s impressive nature and hospitable locals are just a couple of reasons why some travelers like it even more than the north.
How can I save money on my rental car?
There are things you can do to get a good rental deal in Florence:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Florence is the cheapest in April when renting a car is about 44% cheaper than the yearly average and a whopping 60% cheaper than renting a car in June.
Top 20 Cities near Florence
Top 20 Locations near Florence
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Florence?
What’s the usual rental length in Florence?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Florence?
Our Customers Reviews
Top 16 Suppliers for Florence in 2019
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 9 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email