Car rental Italy
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Offers
Why rent a car in Italy?
Italy is a great destination to visit by car. It is home to great cities, world-famous culture, distinct regions, and natural beauty. Having your own ride will give you a chance to visit both the north and the south, as well as the capital Rome that is in the middle.
This article is about Mainland Italy. For information about Sicily, see the article of Sicily. For information about Sardinia, see the article of Sardinia.
Top ways to enter Italy
Rome Airport Fiumicino: The most busy in Italy, Rome Fiumicino is the main airport serving the capital and the Lazio region.
Milan Airport Malpensa: The largest of the three airports serving Milan, Milan Malpensa is a great point to enter Lombardy and much of Italy’s North.
Pisa Airport: Cozy and especially active during summers, Pisa Airport shares flights to and from many destinations in Europe and is popular with various low-cost carriers.
By land: If your rental car provider permits it, it’s possible to rent a car in a neighboring country and then drive to Italy. Some large international airports near Italy are Nice Airport in France, Zurich Airport in Switzerland, and Ljubljana Airport in Slovenia.
Top cities and places to visit
- Rome: Full of traces of its ancient grandeur, Rome is a great history, culture, and culinary destination.
- Venice: One of the most unique cities in Europe, Venice is full of wonderful art and architecture, and also provides access to the wider Veneto region in the Italy’s northeast.
- Tuscany: From countless arts and culture monuments in Florence to vineyards and classical farmer villages, Tuscany is the picture that most people have in mind when they think of Italy.
- Naples and Campania: Proud yet hospitable, Campania is a place of ancient sites and delicious cuisine, as well as beautiful Naples and Pompeii.
- The South: Showing traces of its Greek heritage and independent nature, Southern Italy is very different from north in atmosphere, and offers mountain villages, wild nature, and coasts of three different seas.
Most popular rental car
Travelers most often choose the Fiat Panda, while the Ford Fiesta and the Fiat 500 are also popular.
Italy is bordered by France, Switzerland, Austria, and Slovenia, as well as San Marino and the Vatican City, two enclaves inside it. Like Italy, France, Switzerland, Austria, and Slovenia are all members of the Schengen Area, meaning that three entry requirements for these four countries are the same as for Italy. The microstates of San Marino and Vatican City are not members of the Schengen Area, but their entry requirements are the same as those for Italy.
Some car rental providers allow you to cross national borders and even drop off your car in a different country, while others don’t. If you’d like to cross a national border during your rental period, make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking a car. Learn more about cross-border rentals in our FAQ section.
Most popular types of rental car
The most popular rental car type in Mainland Italy is an Economy, followed by Mini and Compact.
Top driving routes
- Rome - Florence (271 km / 168 mi) The drive from the Italian capital into the heart of Tuscany will take you through some of the most picturesque Italian countryside, especially if you set aside time for detours through villages.
- Milan - Venice (266 km / 165 mi) Milan might be near the Alps, but in just three hours you can reach Venice on the Adriatic Coast.
- Naples - Bari (257 km / 160 mi) Going between these two large southern cities, you’ll cross all of the Italian peninsula from east to west (or vice versa).
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in Italy:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. Visiting Mainland Italy during the low season might be at least two times cheaper than coming here during the high season of tourism.
Top 20 Most Popular Cities in Italy
Top 20 Most Popular Locations in Italy
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Italy?
What’s the average rental length in Italy?
What’s the most popular time for renting a car in Italy?
Our Customers Reviews
Top 20 Suppliers for Italy in 2019
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 8.9 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email