Car rental Ireland
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Offers
Why rent a car in Ireland?
Republic of Ireland is a great place to rent a car in. From cities like Dublin, Cork, and Galway to cozy villages, long sea coast and beautiful nature areas, its great diversity is best explored with the freedom of having your own ride.
Top ways to enter Ireland
- Dublin Airport: Ireland’s largest airport serves flights to and from many destinations in Europe, as well as in North America, Asia, and Africa.
- Knock Airport: Popular with low-cost carriers, Knock Airport is an entry point for Northwest Ireland.
Cork Airport: The airport of Ireland’s second city mainly hosts flights to and from United Kingdom and Western Europe.
- By land: It might also be possible to rent a car in Northern Ireland, part of the United Kingdom, and then drive to Republic of Ireland. Large airports in United Kingdom near Republic of Ireland are Belfast International Airport, Belfast City Airport, and Derry Airport.
Top cities and places to visit
- Dublin: At once the epitome of Irish culture and the most modern place in the country, Dublin is a fascinating destination to visit.
- Galway: Small, but hip and full of life, Galway is one of the most fun destinations in Ireland.
- Cork: Its first settlement dating back to the 6th Century, Cork is a place of interesting architecture and distinct atmosphere.
- Donegal, Sligo, Leitrim. These counties may be be small, but they have beaches, hills, lakes, and other natural beauty in abundance.
- The West: In some ways, Western Ireland is the most traditional part of the country. Bordering Atlantic Ocean and full of interesting traditions, it is a place where Irish language is still spoken on a daily basis.
Most popular rental car
The most popular rental car in Republic of Ireland is the VW Polo, followed by the Toyota Corolla and the Ford Fiesta.
Crossing the border
Republic of Ireland is bordered by Northern Ireland that is part of the United Kingdom. As of December 2018, both countries are part of the Common Travel Area and the border control is not enforced. Citizens of the member states of European Economic Area can enter both countries without a visa.
Citizens of some other countries may be permitted to visit Republic of Ireland, but might need a separate visa to visit the United Kingdom. We advise you to get in touch with your Ministry of Foreign Affairs to find out whether you need a visa to visit United Kingdom.
Some car rental providers allow you to cross national borders and even drop off your car in a different country, while others don’t. If you’d like to cross a national border during your rental period, make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking a car. Learn more about cross-border rentals in our FAQ section.
Most popular types of rental car
The most popular rental car type in Ireland is an Intermediate, but Compact and Economy are also frequently picked by travelers.
Top driving routes
- Dublin - Belfast (166 km / 103 mi) You can do the road between the capital of Ireland and the capital of Northern Ireland in just over two hours. Note that you’ll have to cross a national border, so check with your rental car provider first to make sure they permit it.
- Galway - Dublin (209 km / 130 mi) The route between these two cities crosses the entire Ireland from east to west, taking you from the Atlantic Ocean to the Irish Sea.
- Kerry - Cork (104 km / 64 mi) Kerry International Airport is just 90 minute drive away from Ireland’s second city.
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in Ireland:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Republic of Ireland is the cheapest in January when renting a car is nearly 50% cheaper than the yearly average.
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Ireland?
What’s the average rental length in Ireland?
What’s the most popular time for renting a car in Ireland?
Top 12 Most Popular Cities in Ireland
Top 14 Most Popular Locations in Ireland
Top 7 Best Ireland Suppliers in 2019
The benefits of signing up
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding car rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 8.9 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email — in 12 languages