Car rental Hungary
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Offers
Why rent a car in Hungary?
From majestic castles to cave baths, from Lake Balaton to Budapest, Hungary is a great country to travel around by car. The distances are small, the locals are hospitable and the cuisine is among the best you’ll find in Europe. Hungary’s equally fascinating neighbors offer plenty of opportunities for fun side trips.
Top ways to enter Hungary
Budapest Airport: Hungary’s largest airport hosts flights to and from nearly European country and many locations beyond.
Debrecen Airport: Although much smaller than the one in Budapest, this international airport has flights to and from Munich, Moscow, London, Tel Aviv, and many other destinations.
By land: It’s possible to rent a car in a neighboring country and then drive to Hungary. Some large international airports near Hungary are Vienna Airport in Austria, Belgrade Airport in Serbia, and Ljubljana Airport in Slovenia.
Top cities and places to visit
- Budapest: Historic in every way and yet full of life, Budapest is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe.
- Szeged: This beautiful and sunny southern Hungarian city is a great destination to enjoy at a slow pace. The surrounding Great Hungarian Plain region is both traditional and distinct.
- Lake Balaton: Called the Hungarian Sea by the locals, Balaton offers everything from resorts and spas to sailing and hiking along its shores.
- Caves of Aggtelek: This small village in Northern Hungary hides an extensive karst cave system.
- Bükk Mountains: Although mountains in Hungary are smaller than in most neighboring countries, the area of Bükk is both beautiful and accessible.
Most popular rental car
The most popular rental car in Hungary is the Opel Astra, but the Audi A3 and the Skoda Fabia are also in high demand.
Driver licence requirements
- Hungary accepts all driver licenses issued in the European Union (EU).
- If your driver license is issued by a non-EU country, for it to be considered valid you’ll need a Hungarian visa. Another requirement is to have been in the EU for no more than six months at the time of the rental. If you’ve been in the EU longer, you’ll need a driver license issued by an EU country.
- If your driver license is printed in a non-Latin alphabet (Cyrillic, Arabic, etc.), you’ll need an International Driving Permit (IDP) or an official translation of your license into English or Hungarian.
- You must carry your driver license, not its copy, with you at all times.
- You need to have had your driver license for at least one or two years, depending on the car provider’s requirements.
- There may be additional requirements depending on the car provider and car category, so make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking.
Hungary is bordered by Slovakia, Ukraine, Romania, Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia, and Austria. Hungary is a member of the Schengen Area, as are Slovakia, Austria, and Slovenia. Having a Schengen visa will permit you to enter Hungary as well as these three countries. Ukraine, Romania, Serbia, and Croatia are not members of the Schengen Area. Each of these countries has an individual visa policy, and you may or may not need a visa to enter them. We advise you to contact your Ministry of Foreign Affairs to find out about the visa requirements citizens of your country have for visiting each of these countries. Some car rental providers allow you to cross national borders and even drop off your car in a different country, while others don’t. If you’d like to cross a national border during your rental period, make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking a car. Learn more about cross-border rentals in our FAQ section.
Most popular types of rental car
The type of automobile most often rented in Hungary is economy, but intermediate and compact are also popular.
Top driving routes
Budapest - Vienna (243 km / 151 mi) From one beautiful capital to another, the trip between Vienna and Budapest can be made in less than three hours. Note that you’ll have to cross a national border, so check with your car rental provider first to make sure they allow it.
Budapest - Munich (684 km / 425 mi) Although Munich might seem like a world way from Hungary, it can actually be reached in a day. You’ll cross all of Austria and see some beautiful Alpine peaks on the way. Note that you’ll have to cross two national borders on the way, so check with your car rental provider first to make sure they allow it.
Budapest - Zagreb (343 km / 213 mi) Travel south for a few hours and you’ll be in Zagreb, capital of one of Europe’s most exciting countries, Croatia. Note that you’ll have to cross a national border, so check with your car rental provider first to make sure they allow it.
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in Hungary:
- Compare rates
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Hungary?
What’s the average rental length in Hungary?
What’s the most popular time for renting a car in Hungary?
Our Customers Reviews
Top 8 Suppliers for Hungary in 2019
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 9 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email