Car Rental Rhodes
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Offers
Why rent a car in Rhodes?
The island of Rhodes is a fascinating place to explore by car. Although its territory is quite small, there is plenty to explore, from Rhodes Town to ancient monuments, stunning beaches, and nice nature areas. The public buses can often be overcrowded and do not reach some landmarks at all, so getting a rental car is your best bet to see as much as you’d like and to travel outside the main tourist areas.
Top ways to enter Rhodes
Rhodes Airport: The only international airport of the island, Rhodes Airport is mainly active during the summer months, but serves a number of domestic air routes throughout the year. The airport is about 14 km (8.7 mi) southwest of the city of Rhodes.
By sea: If you’re arriving in Rhodes by ferry, you can conveniently pick up your rental car at the ferry terminal.
Useful city facts
Rhodes enjoys a warm Mediterranean climate. It is not unusual for temperatures to reach 30 °C (86 °F) in summer and even in winter the temperature can often reach 15°C (60 °F). Summers are extremely dry, while winters see quite a lot of precipitation.
Rhodes has been inhabited since the Neolithic era, long before the Greeks came to live there. The first civilization establish on Rhodes was that of the Minoans .
Although part of Greece, Rhodes is located about 360 km (225 mi) from the Greek mainland, but just 18 km (11 mi) from Turkey. There is a frequent ferry service between Rhodes and large nearby Turkish cities.
Top destinations and activities
- Rhodes Old Town. Considering that only slightly more than 100,000 people live in the city of Rhodes, the size of its medieval old town is quite impressive. A UNESCO World Heritage Site, it is best known for its fortifications, gates, and palaces. It’s also a good place to sample local delicacies such as karavolous, snails cooked in tomato sauce.
- Rhodes Archaeological Museum. Like most other places in Greece, Rhodes has a very long and fascinating history. The museum has many interesting artifacts from the different civilizations that have inhabited the island, from the Minoans and Mycenaeans to the Classical Greeks, early Christians, and Ottomans.
- Faliraki. This small beach resort, about 10 km (6.2 mi) from the island’s airport, is famous for its nightlife, but many travelers know it first and foremost as the best spot in Rhodes for water sports.
Traffic and parking tips
- There are no highways on Rhodes (nor on any other Greek islands).
- Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limits are 90 km/h (55.9 mph) on roads outside populated areas and 50 km/h (31 mph) in populated and built-up areas.
- While the larger roads are in good shape, the smaller roads might have poor surfacing and potholes. Be careful when driving on them, especially after dark.
- Many gas stations might be closed during weekends and public holidays.
- It is illegal to use a mobile phone while driving.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers. Exceeding these limits can lead to high fines and a licence ban. Exceeding the limit of 0.08% is a criminal offence and can lead to up to two years of imprisonment.
- The insurance and car documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The general emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112. The police number is 100, the ambulance number is 166, and the fire brigade number is 199.
There are no toll roads in Rhodes. There are, however, a number of tolled roads, tunnels, and bridges on mainland Greece. Many travelers find them very hard to navigate and some choose to avoid using the toll roads altogether because of the very complex toll system that is in place. Different toll roads are administered by different private companies and so there is not a single, nationwide (or even region-wide) system in place.
For most toll roads, payment can be either made with cash at a toll gate, by a credit card, or with coins at an automatic toll machine. For some roads, an electronic transponder might be used to pay for using the toll road. Some rental cars may be equipped with such an electronic transponder. However, because of the aforementioned different toll systems that are in place, this payment method might work for some toll roads, but not for others. Determine out your route in advance and ask your car rental provider about the best way to pay for all the toll roads that you plan to use.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Asklipio. This small inland village is named after the Greek god of medicine and was once home to a healing cult. Many locals love this place for its traditional Greek architecture and its Folklore Museum. Asklipio also boasts two very impressive buildings, the Dormition of the Theotokos church that has beautiful frescoes inside and the Asklipio Castle that offers a magnificent view of the sea in the distance. Asklipio is about 60 km (35 mi) from the town of Rhodes.
- Lindos. A small and relaxed fishing village, and great historical site, Lindos is most famous for its impressive acropolis, a natural citadel that often kept the islanders safe from invaders. the Doric Temple of Athena Lindia is Even older than the acropolis. Lindos is about 50 km (30 mi) south of Rhodes Town.
- Archangelos. The second largest settlement on Rhodes, Archangelos boasts a number of beautiful churches (as you’d expect, judging by its name), as well as Epta Piges or Seven springs, a beautiful green area with a waterfall.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in Rhodes is the Citroen C3, although travelers also love the VW Polo, and the Hyundai i30. The most popular rental car types are economy, compact, and mini. Many of the roads in Rhodes are quite narrow, so picking a smaller vehicle is a good idea.
- Karpathos. Traveling to this little island south of Rhodes can feel like going back in time. Karpathos is perhaps even more famous for its local culture and traditions than its beaches. There is a ferry service from Rhodes, and it might be possible to bring your rental car on boat, but do ask your car rental provider if they permit it first. Alternatively, you can drop off your rental car in Rhodes and pick up another one in Karpathos.
- Kos. In addition to all the other pleasures that you’d expect from a Greek island, Kos excels in snorkelling opportunities and also has a hot spring. There is a ferry service from Rhodes, and it might be possible to bring your rental car onboard, but do ask your car rental provider if they permit it first . Alternatively, you can drop off your rental car in Rhodes and pick up another one in Kos.
- Marmaris and Bodrum. The two Turkish resort towns have truly stunning beaches, but are quite different and unique in atmosphere. They also offer the opportunity to travel further inland or along the Aegean coast. While there is a ferry service, it will most likely not be possible to pick up your rental car in Greece and drop it off in Turkey, so you’ll have to pick up another one in Bodrum or Marmaris. Also, make sure your entry documentation for Turkey is in order (Greece is a member of the EU while Turkey is not).
How can I save money on my rental car?
Try these things to get the best car rental deal in Rhodes:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Rhodes is the cheapest in February when renting a car is about 80% cheaper than the yearly average and an unbelievable 90% cheaper than visiting in July.
Top 20 Cities near Rhodes
Heraklion Car Rentals from $8.41 per day287.4 km / 178.6 miles away
Athens Car Rentals from $11.21 per day404.5 km / 251.3 miles away
Corfu Car Rentals from $9.15 per day799.1 km / 496.6 miles away
Chania Car Rentals from $11.60 per day367.3 km / 228.2 miles away
Thessaloniki Car Rentals from $9.78 per day638.2 km / 396.6 miles away
Zakynthos Car Rentals from $5.78 per day656.0 km / 407.6 miles away
Santorini Car Rentals from $22.16 per day233.3 km / 145.0 miles away
Mykonos Car Rentals from $9.99 per day269.0 km / 167.1 miles away
Kefalonia Car Rentals from $6.54 per day697.6 km / 433.5 miles away
Kos Car Rentals from $10.76 per day98.7 km / 61.3 miles away
Paros Car Rentals from $14.79 per day272.2 km / 169.1 miles away
Preveza Car Rentals from $6.48 per day702.4 km / 436.5 miles away
Samos Car Rentals from $10.11 per day176.8 km / 109.9 miles away
Naxos Car Rentals from $18.68 per day253.6 km / 157.5 miles away
Kalamata Car Rentals from $8.82 per day545.0 km / 338.6 miles away
Lesvos Car Rentals from $21.65 per day322.5 km / 200.4 miles away
Skiathos Car Rentals from $15.35 per day507.0 km / 315.0 miles away
Chios Car Rentals from $14.72 per day275.6 km / 171.3 miles away
Kavala Car Rentals from $16.00 per day584.7 km / 363.3 miles away
Milos Car Rentals from $19.28 per day323.9 km / 201.3 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Rhodes
Rhodes Airport Car Rentals from $7.31 per day
Rhodes, Downtown Car Rentals from $7.31 per day
Rhodes Port Car Rentals from $19.98 per day
Rhodes Hotel Delivery Car Rentals from $16.41 per day
Kos Airport Car Rentals from $10.76 per day98.7 km / 61.3 miles away
Karpathos Airport Car Rentals from $15.43 per day138.3 km / 86.0 miles away
Samos Airport Car Rentals from $10.11 per day176.8 km / 109.9 miles away
Sitia Public Airport Car Rentals from $31.64 per day222.5 km / 138.3 miles away
Santorini Airport Car Rentals from $22.16 per day233.3 km / 145.0 miles away
Naxos Airport Car Rentals from $18.68 per day253.6 km / 157.5 miles away
Mykonos Airport Car Rentals from $9.99 per day269.0 km / 167.1 miles away
Paros Airport Car Rentals from $14.79 per day272.2 km / 169.1 miles away
Chios Airport Car Rentals from $14.72 per day275.6 km / 171.3 miles away
Heraklion Airport Car Rentals from $8.41 per day287.4 km / 178.6 miles away
Syros Airport Car Rentals from $23.66 per day300.8 km / 186.9 miles away
Lesvos, Airport Mytilene (Lesbos) Car Rentals from $21.65 per day322.5 km / 200.4 miles away
Milos Airport Car Rentals from $19.28 per day323.9 km / 201.3 miles away
Chania Airport Car Rentals from $11.60 per day367.3 km / 228.2 miles away
Athens Airport Car Rentals from $11.21 per day404.5 km / 251.3 miles away
Skyros Island National Airport Car Rentals from $24.07 per day425.9 km / 264.7 miles away
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Rhodes?
What’s the usual rental length in Rhodes?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Rhodes?
Our Customers Reviews
Top 15 Suppliers for Rhodes in 2019
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 9 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email