Car rental Greece
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Offers
Why rent a car in Greece?
Greece is a great country to visit by car. From historical landmarks and beautiful cities to endless beaches and untamed nature areas, it is a special place with a lot to offer. Having your own car is the best way to experience all of it.
Top ways to enter Greece
- Athens Airport: Greece’s largest airport hosts flights to and from most European countries, as well as destinations in Asia and the Greater Middle East.
- Heraklion Airport: Mostly active during summer, Crete’s largest airport is served by about 60 airlines.
- Thessaloniki Airport: The airport in Greece’s second city is the best way to access the country’s north.
- By land: If your rental car provider permits it, it is possible to rent a car in a neighboring country and then drive to Greece. Do keep in mind, however, that different visa requirements may be in place for citizens of different countries. Some large international airports near Greece are Sofia Airport in Bulgaria, Tirana Airport in Albania, and Istanbul Airport in Turkey.
Top cities and places to visit
- Athens: Birthplace of Classical Greece, Athens is home to ancient landmarks like the Acropolis, the Ruins of the Temple of Zeus, and the Ancient Agora. The top of the Lykavittos Hill is the place to get the view of the whole city.
- Crete: Greece’s largest island and once home of the Minoan Civilization, Crete is historic and fun in equal parts.
- Thessaloniki: Not only an interesting destination in its own right, Thessaloniki is less than three hours from Mount Athos and Meteora.
- Aegean Islands: Too many to name them all, the Greek islands of Aegean Sea have many of the best beaches in Europe.
- Ionian Islands: Influenced by nearby Italy and once part of the Venetian Empire, the Ionian Islands are unique culturally and in atmosphere Corfu is the largest and most fun, while Zakynthos (also known as Zante) is often claimed to be the most beautiful.
Most popular rental car
The most popular rental car in Greece is the VW Polo, but travelers also love the Volkswagen Up and the Fiat Panda.
Crossing the border
Greece is bordered by Albania, FYR of Macedonia, Bulgaria, and Turkey. Greece is a member of the Schengen Area, but none of its neighbors are (even though Bulgaria is a member of the European Union, it is not a member of the Schengen Area).
Each of Greece’s neighboring countries have their own visa policy. Depending on your citizenship, you may or may not need a visa to enter them. We advise getting in touch with your Ministry of Foreign Affairs to find out about the visa requirements in each country that you’d like to visit.
Many car rental providers in Turkey do not permit crossing a national border. Make sure you look up this policy on your rental terms and agreements. Learn more about cross-border rentals in our FAQ section.
Most popular types of rental car
The most popular type of rental car in Greece is a mini, closely followed by economy and compact.
Top driving routes
Thessaloniki - Athens (501 km / 311 mi) The road between Greece’s two biggest cities will take you through nearly all of the mainland eastern Greece.
Heraklion - Chania (157 km / 95 mi) The route between the two largest cities on the island of Crete can be done in about three hours, but don’t be in a rush as there is plenty to explore on the way in terms of beaches, villages, and historic landmarks.
Athens - Kalamata (238 km / 148 mi) Starting in Athens and traveling southwest, you’ll soon reach the traditional region of Peloponnese, and its capital, Kalamata.
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in Greece:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Greece is the cheapest in January when renting a car is about 65% cheaper than the yearly average.
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Greece?
What’s the average rental length in Greece?
What’s the most popular time for renting a car in Greece?
Top 20 Most Popular Cities in Greece
Top 20 Most Popular Locations in Greece
Top 20 Best Greece Suppliers in 2019
The benefits of signing up
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding car rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 8.9 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email — in 12 languages