Car rental Germany
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Offers
Why rent a car in Germany?
Germany is a great place to travel around by car. Although the country is rather large, it boasts some of the best highways in the world, and the route between the north and the south or the east and the west can be done in a matter of hours. With beautiful cities and impressive nature areas, Germany is a place to discover.
Top ways to enter Germany
- Munich Airport: Located in the capital city of the Bavaria region, Munich Airport is the best way to enter Southern Germany.
- Frankfurt Airport: Busiest in Germany and one of the largest in Europe, Frankfurt Airport hosts flights to and from all parts of the world.
- Düsseldorf Airport: Serving the Rhine-Ruhr metropolitan region, Düsseldorf Airport is a hub of numerous low-cost carriers.
- By land: It’s possible to rent a car in a neighboring country and then drive to Germany. Some large international airports near Germany are Brussels Airport in Belgium, Amsterdam Airport in the Netherlands, and Zürich Airport in Switzerland.
Top cities and places to visit
- Berlin: Germany's capital is one of Europe's most popular travel destinations thanks to its colorful neighborhoods, bustling arts scene, and free spirit.
- Hamburg: Hamburg is popular with travelers both for its history as an important port city and its laidback lifestyle in areas like St. Pauli.
- Bavaria: The region's main attraction is its grand capital, Munich, but you shouldn't overlook its national parks, stunning mountains, and cozy towns, either.
- Leipzig: One of Germany's best kept secrets, during the last decade Leipzig has quickly become a cultural, arts, and science center.
- Frankfurt: There's more to Frankfurt than just finance and business as the city is also famous for its museums, architecture, and Hessian cuisine.
Most popular rental car
The most popular rental car in Germany is the VW Golf, but the Opel Astra and the Audi A3 are also popular among travelers.
Crossing the border
Germany shares a border with Denmark, Poland, Czech Republic, Austria, Switzerland, France, Luxembourg, Belgium, and the Netherlands. Germany is a member of the Schengen Area and so are all of its neighboring countries. If you’ll need a visa to enter the Schengen Area, the same will also permit you to enter any of the Germany’s neighboring countries.
Some car rental providers allow you to cross national borders and even drop off your car in a different country, while others don’t. If you’d like to cross a national border during your rental period, make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking a car. Learn more about cross-border rentals in our FAQ section.
Most popular types of rental car
The most popular rental car type in Germany is an Economy, closely followed by compact and fullsize.
Top driving routes
Munich - Frankfurt (392 km / 243 mi) The route through Southern Germany will take you near interesting cities like Stuttgart and Heidelberg which you can explore on the way.
Hamburg - Copenhagen (473 km / 293 mi) Thanks to Hamburg’s proximity to Denmark, you can be in Scandinavia in just a few hours.
Berlin - Amsterdam (655 km / 407 mi) Although these two legendary cities are quite a distance from one another, great roads let you travel between them in under seven hours, meaning that you can have breakfast in one capital and dinner in the other.
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in Germany:
- Compare rates of different car providers
- Book your rental car as early as possible
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Germany is the cheapest in October when renting an automobile is almost 30% cheaper than the yearly average.
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Germany?
What’s the average rental length in Germany?
What’s the most popular time for renting a car in Germany?
Top 20 Most Popular Cities in Germany
Top 20 Most Popular Locations in Germany
Top 7 Best Germany Suppliers in 2019
The benefits of signing up
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding car rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 8.9 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email — in 12 languages